Monday, January 9, 2012


H.A. Coleman is the great-grandfather of my husband. We are privileged to have not just this picture, but two trophy's of his that he won playing billiards on the amateur level in the early 1900's. Here is a piece from the New York Herald, on Saturday, February 4th, 1905, after he won the Class B Tourney.

H.A. Coleman wins Class B Tourney

Defeats Albert Lewenberg by 300 to 268 in Final Amateur Match at Daly's Academy.

H.A. Coleman defeated Albert Lewenberg in the class B amateur 14.2 balk line billiard tournament, at Maurice Daly's Academy, last night, by a score of 300 to 368. By his victory Mr. Coleman becomes champion of his class, as he has not been beaten since the tournament began.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I just purchased the house where he and Zillah lived in Milwaukee, WI. I was researching the home and found that he was the first owner/occupant. I was wondering if you happen to have any additional photos from their time here that may include the house. I'm not sure if you knew this, but the house is still standing in good condition, with most of the original character intact. In the early 90s it was added to the Historical Registry for its architectural and historical significance. If you would like photos of the house, I can send them to you also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brit Jo, What a fun thing to tell me about! We had no idea that the house was still there, and yes I would love to receive some pictures! I'll check, but I don't remember any pictures of the house. He divorced Louise (which was what his great-grandmother was called) and so we have only a few things from that side of the family. My personal email is richardson.emily5@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete