Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day and honoring their memories


Today, 11/11/11, is Veteran's Day. This is a picture of my father, Maurice Fred Coffman and my mother, Dorothy Yoder Coffman shortly after their marriage on December 5, 1941. Yes, they were married two days before Pearl Harbor, and were on their honeymoon in DC, where dad was stationed.

Dad, was proud of his Naval heritage and service. In addition, we must also honor, his father, Maurice Coffman (see the Coffman page); my father's brother, James Coffman; my mother's father, Earl Yoder (see the Yoder page) and many more relatives who have served this United States.

In my grandfather Coffman's U.S.N. scrap book, in my possession there are pages of quotes and poems that were meaningful to my grandfather. There is no question that this one struck a special note for me:

"Somebody Waiting for Me"
"Somebody's waiting for me;
Some one who loves me, I know,
Somebody's wondering where I can be,
And what can be keeping me so!
Somebody's heart is sad
Waiting so anxiously'
There's a light shining bright
From a window-to-night,
For there's somebody waiting for me."

"You have a sweetheart, somewhere,"
One among them softly said.
"Is she handsome, Jack? pray introduce us, do!"
"If you'll come with me," he answered,
"I will show her to you, boys.
It's the only sweetheart that I ever knew."
Then he led them to a cottage,
Pointed through a window-pane,
Where a gray-haired woman sat with her head down,
"She's my mother, she's my sweetheart
She's the one I meant to-night,
So you see I told the truth boys, when I said:

Somebody's waiting for me;
Some one who loves me, I know,
Somebody's wondering where I can be,
And what can be keeping me so!
Somebody's heart is sad
Waiting so anxiously'
There's a light shining bright
From a window-to-night,
For there's somebody waiting for me."

Bless all those who have served, and know that there is someone waiting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment